Everytime the clock strikes twelve on december 31st, people all around the globe, wish each other a very happy and rich new year.
For some people, welcoming a new year means nothing special, but for other new year brings along hope, plans and perspective in achieving something they really want. Some people want to put behind them the last year and start a new one with extra strength, determination, faith and bigger plans hoping to acomplish all they want. Some might want to reconnect with a friend or find a new friend, get married, make more money or start a business.
Are your wishes too big or too small, easy to accomplish or really hard to do so? Let’s have a simple exercise, let’s make small wishes, baby steps to get to the final picture, to try to get where everybody wants to get: to the very best of themselves. Imagine the new year you’re entering in like a book, with blank pages. Let’s fill the pages, color them nicely, and this way on the next 31 of December you’ll have a great book to place in your collection.
Here’s a simple exercise. Even if you are a very organized person, I don’t think that you want to plan everyday of your life, the unexpected has always its role and it is most of the time better than anything you try to plan. On the other hand, not planning anything can make you feel that you have no direction to follow, and as great Arthur Schopenhauer used to teach us, try to have an ideal evertytime you wake up and start a new day, this way you’ll have something to fight for.
Don’t wish things that are too big for you, unrealistic things that will only make you feel disappointed when you’ll finally realize that are impossible to accomplish. Be as realistic as you can, measure your own strengths to keep a balance between what your possibilities to make your wishes come and your expectations really are.
Here you have some things to do in the new year, besides working hard for a bigger salary, a fancy home or the newest car. Just some simple things that not require much, but will make you feel good:
- Why don’t you start wishing to find out more things about you? What else, besides the usual things you do everyday would you like very much too do? Give it a try!
- Try to discover a new place, a new culture and civilization, make friends there.
- Learn to play an instrument.
- Make somebody smile, try to make somebody happy, in the end you’ll realize that you’re the one that is smilling.
- Learn a new language.
- Take some time for yourself, rediscover books or movies you used to love.
- Go camping for the weekend.
- Skip a restaurant lunch and go to a picnic.
- Rediscover libraries and the unique smell of the books that told their story to so many people.
- Dance in the rain.
- Organise pajama parties at home and invite friends for a sleep over.
- Recall highschool with your friends over rainy days.
You can add many more things to this list that has no end. Just make time for yourself even if you are a very busy person and don’t ever forget what truly defines you as a human being.